Paint Issue Fine Hairline Cracks Appearing
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
snaffler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Paint Issue Fine Hairline Cracks Appearing

by snaffler » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:01 am

I have searched all over the net for an answer to this problem and still no joy so I can across this forum fingers crossed someone may know how to help us out.

I will give some background first so this may help a pro diagnose out paint problem.

House 27 years old plaster and brick and block construction
Walls in question have been painted before with no issues at all by us, all other interior walls in house painted by us with no problems, including walls on the same side of house upstairs.
We are using a high quality matt emulsion.

We decided to change the colour of our lounge walls, the previous paint was a vinyl silk emulsion, we have now changed to a matt emulsion for a warmer finish.

Paint applied in good even coats with rollers and brushes for cutting in but now matter what we do of how often we go back over the wall again we are getting this very fine cracking appear in the paint almost like you would see in and old porcelain pot or jug.

Or another good description of the effect, look at an atlas and you see all the various continents broken up by uneven fine lines that is what is happening, it can only be seen very close up say about 2 foot away or closer but we would love to sort it out.

Short of putting up lining paper and painting over which seems a bodge job to me we have exhausted all ideas.

We would be really grateful of any help, I have was also wondering if anyone knew if international paints sold anything to combat this issue as I know they do a lots of paint problem solutions.

Many thanks

Jay

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:54 am

Cracking is usually a sign of poor surface preparation and the walls may possibly have needed a wash down with sugar soap. Unfortunately as this problem (if indeed this is the problem) is concerned with the existing coat there is nothing that can be apllied over the top to solve it. As it dries, paint shrinks a tiny biy and if teh adhesion with the existing surface is not 100% effective the cracks or splits, are a result of this shrinkage. These cracks generally start to develop into flakes later and anything applied of the topis affected,

snaffler
Apprentice
Apprentice

by snaffler » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:43 am

Ok thanks for that well it sounds like the issue even though we worked hard on the prep, I have read on this site of Renovation Paper would this be a suitable solution ? DIY Doc.

Thanks

Jay

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 pm