Paint peeling
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JonnyBoy1978
Labourer
Labourer

Paint peeling

by JonnyBoy1978 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm

I bought a new build house 5 years ago (timber frame, plasterboard walls which were slimmed and painted). I had planned to paint my sons bedroom this week but when I removed a poster from the wall the paint started to peel off in strips. Would this be because when it was initially painted it wasn't sealed properly? Do I need to strip the entire walls back to plaster and re-seal? If so which is best way of doing it?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:24 am

Hi, I think you have worked out the reason for the peeling. It definately sounds as if the walls were not sealed properly. It may be that just a bit of it needs to be scraped off but if most of it comes off easily then it may be better to try and get it all off and start again. If this is the case after getting all the emulsion off give the walls a good clean then give them one or two mist coats, that is thinned down coats of emulsion about 50/50 with water. After this put on a couple of coats of the finish paint and then you will know it should then be right. Good luck.

JonnyBoy1978
Labourer
Labourer

by JonnyBoy1978 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Cheers Shedman,

The problem is that the yellow emulsion comes off but under it there is a layer of white paint which seems sound. Do I need to remove this layer as well or can I mist over it?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi JonnyBoy, if the white is sound just leave it there. Chances are that it needed 2 mist coats to take the suction out and maybe only had the one so the topcoat didn't take properly. Once you have taken off what you can give it another mist coat first before you topcoat it.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:38 pm

I would just scrape al the loose paint flakes off and line the walls. What ever filling showes through will be face filled.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am