Paint preservation
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hot Stu
Labourer
Labourer

Paint preservation

by Hot Stu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

When I have paint left over in a tin how can I stop the skin forming over so that I can use it easily the next time - even if its a month later say. :?:

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Dont get you. Most oil based will skin over after a while but you just need to burst the skin and the paint underneath is fine. Just make sure the lid is on proper and it will slow the process. Emulsion should last for a good while doesnt skin just goes off.

Hot Stu
Labourer
Labourer

by Hot Stu » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm

If there was a product to stop skin forming on paint once it has been opened and was relatively cheap do you think anybody would be interested. I would appreciate comments

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 am

I personally don't think I would buy it as I don't find any problem with doing as JRS says. I just run a putty knife around the skin and lift it off. I usually decant it into a smaller container too using a pair of Oh's old stockings to get any tiny bits out. I think that if there was something that would stop it skinning over in the tin then it would probably stop it from drying properly as well when it was on whatever you were painting.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:59 pm

I dont think there is much need or demand for it. Its not a must have really as long as you put the lid on its fine. Plus if there was such a thing it would need to be far cheaper than a tin of paint or it would defeat the purpose.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:45 pm