paint troubles
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
college boy
Labourer
Labourer

paint troubles

Post by college boy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:50 am

hello, my first post here.

A group of friends and I are trying to raise funds for our college by painting the 'white emultion' rooms of the pupils and charging them a little more than the cost of the paint.

However 'the powers that be' have decided the paint must be 'of a sensible nature' and not only that its got to be cheap for us to do it in the first place.

There are two types of rooms, rooms with a shiny/glossy coat of grey paint and other rooms with white (now off white after several years) wall paper.
What is the best type of paint to use on these two surfaces. And where can i get CHEAP sensible colours in bulk for about 40 small rooms?

Please help, im going mad in my shiny grey prison,
Gareth

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:48 am

The gloss walls need to be wiped down with sugar soap to clean and de-grease them. Simply follow the instruictions on the packet or tub. There is a link below for this product. Then you need to rub over lightly with a sheet off fine sandpaper to give the emulsion a key for adherance. Follow the first link for a good quality cheap bulk emulsion. Its the same process for the wallpaper, which really should be stripped off first. If you do leave it on omit the sand paper operation and be prepared for some lifting of the paper as you apply the emulsion. Sometimes the water in the emulsion can dissolve the walllpaper paste leaving bubbles in the paper. Sometimes the bubbles go back as it all dries, sometimes they do not.

Paint:

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=33085 ... 071&m=1228

Sugar Soap.

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=13116 ... 071&m=1228

college boy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by college boy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:39 am

:D thanks a lot. i may post pictures of our new dorms when we've finished next term

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:30 pm