Painted over plaster but didn't seal it, not sure what to do
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AngieB
Labourer
Labourer

Painted over plaster but didn't seal it, not sure what to do

by AngieB » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Being a DIY novice, I've recently had my wall replastered. I was told that I could paint it after a few days. Anyway, I waited about 3 weeks before I painted, but someone has just told me that I should have sealed it first. I don't know what to do now. Whether to just leave it and hope, or to strip it off and start again. Any help greatfully received!! :oops:

topdec
Apprentice
Apprentice

by topdec » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:43 pm

the first coat of emulsion on new plaster is usually thinned at a ratio of 2 parts emulsion to 1 part water and is known as a mist coat and this is sufficent to seal the plaster prior to painting, however if youve already painted the plaster you shouldnt need to do anything else to it unless you have any problems, cracking or flaking paint etc.

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Did it myself » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:34 pm

Doesn't sound like you will have a problem to me. All that happens is that you are using yuor expensive paint to cover the plastered wall.... for next time, as topdec suggests, a thinned coat of paint first or alternatively you can use PVC glue watared down ratio 1 part glue to 5 parts cold water. Mix it up and then just paint all your walls using a brush or a roller. You can do a couple of coats if you want to be thorough. Let it dry over night and then start your painting.

Your coat of paint will do exactly the same as this, but glue and water is cheaper! (method recommended to me by a plasterer).

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:03 am

[quote]you can use PVC glue watared down ratio 1 part glue to 5 parts cold water[/quote]

i would strongly disagree - emulsion paint does not take very well to PVA'd surfaces. if PVA is used then add it directly to the diluted paint in very small quantities to help adhesion. painting over dry PVA often fails.

AngieB
Labourer
Labourer

Thank you

by AngieB » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for your replies. The paint looks ok at the moment, bit if it starts to flake what should I do then? Sand the whole lot back to the plaster and then seal it with watered down emulsion?

Once again, thanks for your replies, I'm feeling slightly less stressed about it now :oops:

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Did it myself » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:39 am

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"][quote]you can use PVC glue watared down ratio 1 part glue to 5 parts cold water[/quote]

i would strongly disagree - emulsion paint does not take very well to PVA'd surfaces. if PVA is used then add it directly to the diluted paint in very small quantities to help adhesion. painting over dry PVA often fails.[/quote]

Fair comment... but I have used this method several times and it works fine. Each to their own i guess!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:55 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 am