Hello all. First time home buyer and DIY dummy here hoping people might be able to help me out.
I am looking to get an idea of the price of re-painting the entire interior of a property I am currently looking at making an offer on. (Lounge, Kitchen, Stairs and landing, 2 bedrooms and bathroom). It is a 2 bed terraced circa 1970s house in Northern England with a total floor area of about 65 square metres across two floors.
A few questions then:
- Does £3500 inclusive of VAT sound like a realistic budget for getting everything inside repainted (appreciating its impossible to get an exact price without a painter/decorator seeing the place)?
- Is it possible to save money by stripping the wallpaper of the bedrooms myself rather than getting a decorator to it? And would the saving be big enough to make it worth my while?
- Is it possible to save money by providing materials such as paint myself rather than getting a painter and decorator to supply them?
- Are there any other practical steps that I can take to reduce the cost of the job?
- Are there any practical steps I can take to make the job as easy as possible for a painter and decorator to save them any headaches so that they can just get on with what they do best?
- What questions should I ask a painter and decorator to make sure I am happy with what they are planning to do when receiving a quotation?
Look forward to responses, thanks in advance for the help.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!