Painting mist coast queries on new plaster
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Simon Shields
Labourer
Labourer

Painting mist coast queries on new plaster

by Simon Shields » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding painting on new plaster.

I have recently got my house plastered and I'm having a friend undertake the decorating. It generally looks really good and I'm happy with it but a few hairline cracks have started to appear on some of the walls/ceilings.

I'm aware that most people apply a mist coat to new plaster which would be emulsion mixed with water. I think my friend applied white matt emulsion straight to the plaster as a primer/sealant without mixing the water (couple of coats and then the final colour on top). Therefore my questions are:

1. Are the hairline cracks on the walls and ceilings likely a result of not mixing the emulsion with water to prime/seal the plaster?
2. In the future if I was to repaint and I removed/applied paint stripper to the walls back to bare plaster would I have to apply a new mist coast before painting eventhough the plaster has come into contact with paint previously?

I can live with a few cracks at the moment and I'll probably sand and repaint to make it look a bit better but if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Painting mist coast queries on new plaster

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Hi simonshields
Answer is yes to both questions. What you may find is that in time, the paint comes off the walls in sheets. Probably best to leave it and see what happens.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm