Painting my front door
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
caligula69uk
Labourer
Labourer

Painting my front door

Post by caligula69uk » Thu May 28, 2009 4:53 pm

I want to paint my front door with a high gloss finish. I want it to shine like the door at 10 Downing street. I was thinking about using a clear aerosol lacquer like they do on cars, or a yacht varnish. Any advice or recommendations please. Where can I get gloss to do this?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri May 29, 2009 9:37 pm

caligula69uk,
If you want to varnish your door then use yacht varnish and rub down each coat with wet wet-or-dry paper between coats until you reach the desired finish.
end

caligula69uk
Labourer
Labourer

Post by caligula69uk » Sat May 30, 2009 9:09 am

I dont wantto varnish my front door,,, i want to paint my front door,,, but i want a very shiney high gloss finish. any tips on products??

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sat May 30, 2009 10:13 am

"Where can I get gloss to do this?"

To answer this question you can't if you are considering splashing on a single coat of own brand stuff from the sheds and expect it to look like No 10.

What you do is use a quality oil based paint - the runny kind NOT the jelly kind and apply coat after coat rubbing down with fine grit wet and dry between coats - but use it wet and clean well afterwards before the next coat. Before you even get to the gloss you also need to get a perfect surface with your undercoat - also using wet and dry.

You can get a reasonable glass like finish with two coats and mostly thats as much as people are prepared to pay for.

Its going to be hard work but I'm sure it will be worth it. And use quality brushes as well.

Cheers

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Post by theshedman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:43 am

Hi, I'm probably too late for this post but don't forget to get really good finish you will need to use good quality paint brush. Something like Hamilton Perfection. Cheap brush = poor finish.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:54 am