painting new plaster
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kentman
Apprentice
Apprentice

painting new plaster

by kentman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:19 am

iam painting new plaster i got 10 litres of pure brilliant matt white for new plaster from homebase first coat must be diluted solution of up to 1 part water to 9 parts paint.

iam not sure how much water to add not done this before any one help

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:42 pm

First - how big is the area to be painted? Thats to decide how much paint you'll be needing.

Second - if you haven't opened it take it back for a refund. This own brand stuff is horribly thin - 9/1 ratio for a mist coat indeed - because its mostly water anyway. Even with this weekends "savings" you'll be better off getting yourself a 5 litre can of Dulux Trade Supermatt for use on new plaster - because it will go further and a 5 litre can of this will cost you less than the 10 litre pot of t'other stuff. DO NOT BUY RICH MATT - it doesn't stick to new plaster!!

Third don't try to dilute it in the can it comes in - because I think thats what you are asking. Pour out what you want into a tray or scuttle then add water to dilute. For a mist coat with Supermatt I use a 25/75 mix. 2nd coat use Supermatt again (or whatever your finish is (Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt recommended)) diluted 20% water 80% paint and final coat of your finish only about 10% water.

HTH

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:53 pm