Painting on plaster
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yogibear
Labourer
Labourer

Painting on plaster

by yogibear » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:43 pm

My sister has just moved into a bungalow that has been stood empty for the last 6 years. The landlord ahs done some work to it, and the kitchen has been skimmed at some time in the recent past. My sister has emulsioned the plaster, after sizing the walls, but the paint just won't stick in a couple of places. She then tried to cover the patches with a self adhesive border, but this too refuses to stick.

She says the plaster was fully dried before she painted it, so I thought about damp coming through the pointing and soaking the inner skin. The outer wall however is rendered and dashed, and I can't find anything wrong withe the finish.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be and how to sort it?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Painting on plaster

by rosebery » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:16 pm

[quote="yogibear"]My sister has just moved into a bungalow that has been stood empty for the last 6 years. The landlord ahs done some work to it, and the kitchen has been skimmed at some time in the recent past. My sister has emulsioned the plaster, after sizing the walls, but the paint just won't stick in a couple of places. She then tried to cover the patches with a self adhesive border, but this too refuses to stick.

She says the plaster was fully dried before she painted it, so I thought about damp coming through the pointing and soaking the inner skin. The outer wall however is rendered and dashed, and I can't find anything wrong withe the finish.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be and how to sort it?[/quote]

What do you mean by "sizing the walls"

What paint (specifically) did she use?

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:05 pm

OK let me rephrase the question. If by sizing you mean a weak mixture of wallpaper paste then I'm not surprised. There's no adhesion because the water content in the paint has made the size live and it's peeled off.

If, however, you mean primed what substance was used to prime?

The other part doesn't need rephrasing: Specifically what paint did she use? By specifically I mean make, name and specification.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:06 pm