Painting on wall after removing artex
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dionne_ward
Labourer
Labourer

Painting on wall after removing artex

by dionne_ward » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:07 pm

I have recently removed artex from my walls in the hall, stairs and landing. I have started painting the walls but the top part of the walls are showing brown stains through the paint. I have tried painting it with diluted PVA before painting. What can I do?

topdec
Apprentice
Apprentice

by topdec » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:33 pm

they are probably water stains, you need to paint over them with an oil based pased paint, eg. stainblock, undercoat etc.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 pm

firstly you need to try to establish what is causing the stain. could it be damp? if so, you need to investigate to establish the cause and then remedy before tackling the stain.

if it is benign then a stain block is all that's needed. try a primer by the name of bullseye (made by a firm called 'zinsser') which has excellent stain blocking properties. if that doesn't work then try a damp seal such as aquaseal.

pva will probably not work very well as a stain block depending on the type of stain that it is.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:50 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am