Painting over hardwood?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Franc
Labourer
Labourer

Painting over hardwood?

Post by Franc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi,
We have a hardwood staircase, which I love but my wife hates. She would like it to be white, however, I think it would be impossible to do this as the hardwood would keep coming through the white paint especially on the stair rails. As my wife has severe Asthma, I have to be careful what products I use. I use Ecos paint around the home which is odorless. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Franc

gwb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gwb » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 am

make sure you give the timber a light sand to allow the paint to get a key.try using a grey primer first at least two coats once dry lightly sand and then apply two to three coats of white u can also apply a clear sealing coat to it to help protect the paint.

Timberjack13
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Timberjack13 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:43 am

I would defo used an undercoat of something if u plan to keep the white and dont want the hardwood to come through... :wink:

carpstu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by carpstu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm

[quote="Timberjack13"]I would defo used an undercoat of something if u plan to keep the white and dont want the hardwood to come through... :wink:[/quote]

you need to use aliminum primer to cover hard wood if you
want it to stick

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:44 am