Painting over kitchen & bathroom paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eke71
Labourer
Labourer

Painting over kitchen & bathroom paint

Post by eke71 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi all

I am currently decorating a downstairs WC that has previously been painted in a blue kitchen & bathroom paint. We have given the old walls three coats of brilliant white matt emulsion (it doesn't need K&B paint) but even on the third coat the coverage is terrible and the new paint seems to be 'sliding' off to reveal the old blue paint underneath.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening? Should I have done something to the walls before applying the new paint (in addition to washing with sugar soap etc)?

Any help gratefully received!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Painting over kitchen & bathroom paint

Post by rosebery » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 pm

"I am currently decorating a downstairs WC that has previously been painted in a blue kitchen & bathroom paint. We have given the old walls three coats of brilliant white matt emulsion (it doesn't need K&B paint) but even on the third coat the coverage is terrible and the new paint seems to be 'sliding' off to reveal the old blue paint underneath."

Nothing needs K&B paint because a) its carppaint and b) its just merketing hype that says it should be used.

"Can anyone suggest why this is happening?"

Lack of adhesion. What paint are you using? Yes I know you said brilliant white matt but is it vinyl matt, rich matt, supermatt or what?

"Should I have done something to the walls before applying the new paint (in addition to washing with sugar soap etc)?"

Probably should have keyed it first. The alternative is to go over it with a spirit based undercoat and then apply your new paint on top of that.

HTH

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:44 pm