painting over new plaster
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gillian
Labourer
Labourer

painting over new plaster

Post by Gillian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:43 pm

I need some advice about what's best for painting new plaster walls in my bathroom.I've read one of the reponses to another question along these lines but I'm not sure what a 'mist' coat is.
I 've already painted some emulsion on one of the the walls but noticed that there were cracks in some parts so have scrapped it all off again. I'm not sure if the plasterer finished off the wall with Uni-Bond which may have caused some of the cracking problems. The finish of the plaster is fairly smooth ,there are no cracks in the plaster itself.
Is the best approach to prep the wall by sanding it down and then painting the first coat as a thin emulsion and building up the layers from that?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Post by theshedman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi Gillian, a mist coat is just a watered down coat of emulsion. If the walls are just new plaster then I would sand them lightly just in case there are any little bumps on them, then give it a very thin coat of emulsion just a bit of white emulsion will do with a fair bit of water in with it. Then as it's a bathroom I would give it 2 coats of bathroom emulsion. Bathroom emulsion is better to use as it will not go mouldy as normal ones can in a room where it gets quite wet. Good luck.

Gillian
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Gillian » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks for this advice the Shedman, will try this approach.Cheers

LouiseSW
Labourer
Labourer

Post by LouiseSW » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:04 pm

[quote="theshedman"]Hi Gillian, a mist coat is just a watered down coat of emulsion. If the walls are just new plaster then I would sand them lightly just in case there are any little bumps on them, then give it a very thin coat of emulsion just a bit of white emulsion will do with a fair bit of water in with it. Then as it's a bathroom I would give it 2 coats of bathroom emulsion. Bathroom emulsion is better to use as it will not go mouldy as normal ones can in a room where it gets quite wet. Good luck.[/quote]

I have a similar question on forum but I have read various places you must not sand plaster unnecesarily - wish I could afford to employe a professional to take care of this for me

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:18 pm