Painting over old paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
anamateur
Labourer
Labourer

Painting over old paint

Post by anamateur » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of decorating my hallway. I initially stripped two layers of wood chip wallpaper to reveal turquoise painted walls which must go back 30 years or so. I didn't pay too much attention but thinking back i don't think this paint was your ordinary matt. It had a slight sheen to it reminding me of some of the bathroom paints you get today.

Anyway having filled in dents and cracks using polyfilla and plaster I've begun painting these walls. Over repairs I've used Dulux Super Matt for new plaster, then two coats of cheapo B&Q white paint (so thin it didn't need watering down to act as mist coat) and two subsequent coats of Dulux Rich Matt in brilliant white. Slowly but surely the turquoise is beginning to dissappear. However the finish is poor. The covering is uneven and at times I'm getting a bubbling effect. Further, while waiting several days between coats I find if I'm not careful its very easy to lift off the new coats with my roller exposing the turqoise again. Similarly if i accidentally brush against a wet wall the white coats are easily wiped off down to the turqoise.

I'm now wondering whether I should have done something to prepare the turqoise painted surface prior to repainting. Sanding, priming, both, other? While it would be useful to know what I should have done for future reference I suppose I really need to know what can be done now to rectify the problem now that I've already begun painting. Due to surface area involved stripping back and starting over completely is not an option. Any advice very greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this is a bit wordy javascript:emoticon(':?')

jonkelson
Labourer
Labourer

your bubbly paint

Post by jonkelson » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:31 pm

I would use zinser primer. Use the shelac based primer .Just give the walls a couple of coats and that should do the trick. you can then emulsion over it.
Hope this works.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:08 pm