Painting Over PVA Applied to Paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Charponnaise
Labourer
Labourer

Painting Over PVA Applied to Paint

by Charponnaise » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi all,

When I refurbished my home, we ripped off the old bathroom tiles and skimmed the walls with plaster, then painted the plaster in a rich deep indigo paint - and then, to seal it and make sure it didn't peel off or go mouldy, my builder sealed the paint with PVA.

I'm now thinking about revising the decor - either applying tiles around the bath area (up to the ceiling) to complement the existing paint, or changing it up completely with tiles and paint (or even wallpaper - though less likely because £££ for what I want) in thoroughly different colours.

Will I be able to paint or tile (or paper if I decide to) over the PVA? Do I need to use anything else first to prime it or can I apply straight on?

If the PVA is going to be a problem, what's the best way to remove it?

Finally - once I have the colour of choice on my walls, is there a way to maintain a matte look without having to seal with PVA again? I really don't like the shiny look. But my bathroom is a tiny sweatbox with the smallest of windows, and the walls are literally running with condensation when one has a bath or shower. So the walls have got to be moisture resistant.

Thank you!

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Painting Over PVA Applied to Paint

by gc1967 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:52 pm

I have been a Painter and Decorator for 33 Years and have never heard of putting pva over paint extremely strange. You use pva ie on areas where plaster is missing, paint it on and then plaster.
I personally wouldn't paint over pva, I would give all the walls a good rub down and then coat them with a coat of stain block. And then I would apply 2 coats of crown clean extreme emulsion or dulux diamond matt emulsion, they are flat but are 10 times stronger than ordinary matt emulsion, or use dulux kitchen or bathroom paint.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:38 am