Painting plasterboard with a plaster skim
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rob r
Labourer
Labourer

Painting plasterboard with a plaster skim

by rob r » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:51 pm

I have just painted a loft with Polycell basecoat, the walls are plasterboard with a skim over the top. I did not seal it as I thought the basecoat was the right thing to use, now after reading the instructions it says that you should seal plastered walls first but its ok straight on platerboard or filler.

The paint seems ok, it did peel a bit when I removed the masking tape but the paint was dry when I removed the tape.

I would like it to last and I'm not sure weather to take all the paint off and start again? Any advice is appriciated

Cheers, Rob

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 am

HI rob r,
Been away on holiday, so not sure if this info is any use to you anymore, but hope it is helpfull!
Right! even though the wall has been Plasterboarded, it has been plastered too, so it'a a plastered wall.
Some walls are boarded out and then the joints are taped and filled out, then sanded down. This is called Dry Lining and Joint Taping.
So I think that's what the paint manufactuers instruction was trying to explain. But regardless of that, these walls should still be sealed and primed.
Sometimes you get away it (depending on the paint) and the method of application. But the paint manufactures instructions are to cover their own backs and sometimes to try recomend another one of their products. In this case may be a polycell primer?
But I would wait and see if the paint takes before deciding to strip it all off and if stays you've saved yourself a job.
Seasons Greetings and Best of Luck
KB

rob r
Labourer
Labourer

by rob r » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi KB, thanks for the reply. The paint still seems to be sticking so hopefully its ok :wink:

Happy new year

Cheers, Rob

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:31 pm