Painting sash windows - exterior
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Painting sash windows - exterior

by alexeix » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi,

I started painting my living room sash windows in the summer, but didn't complete the job, so they are currently undercoated and awaiting further paint...

With the days getting shorter in the UK and the temperature falling, I want to know how much longer I have to finish this job.
Bearing in mind the drying time, if I pick a sunny day, at what temperature should I consider it too cold to paint the window frame?

The same applies to some outside masonry which I need to paint, such as window sills.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Painting sash windows - exterior

by theshedman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Should be fine to do them anytime really so long as you are not expecting it to be frosty before the paint has a chance to dry. Just try to paint them as early in the morning as you can after they have dried from the morning dew or even wipe them yourself to help them dry quicker. As you have left it so long you may need to give them another light sanding clean them off then another undercoat before glossing as the undercoat you have on may have yellowed. The same applies to the masonry paint. As long as you are not expecting a frost and you get it done early enough in the morning then it should be fine.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:51 pm