Painting stairs
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AJG
Labourer
Labourer

Painting stairs

by AJG » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Help!

My stair carpet is a disgrace and it'll cost me too much to replace it, I live in a small terrace and the lowest quote I got was nearly 400 quid! So I thought painting them seems a good idea, However I need help! Can anyone tell me do I need a special paint for stairs? I've heard that you should varnish over them too and add sand in to the varnish to stop you sliding down them! I'd be very grateful for any guidance. Thanks in advance
Alison

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:44 am

AJG,
Painting your stairs could be more trouble than it is worth - there are likely to be nail holes all over the place and what about your neighbours hearing you going up and down the stairs. If you are in a leasehold property there may well be clauses which stipulate that you must have carpet.
I suggest you go to somewhere like carpetright and buy enough cheap carpet to replace the existing. Pull up the old carpet and lay the new - it is not that dificult if the stairs are straight.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:58 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:01 pm