All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pan Connector Conundrum

Post by Heeber » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi folks,
I'm in the final throws of renovating an en-suite.

Prob I've hit is that connecting the pan.

As this was all boxed in before, I am left with the grey soil pipe protruding from the floor an inch or so, then a 90deg bend.

With the style of pan we're installing, you can see the pipe, so have solved this by spray-painting it white. But now have hit a bigger prob.

The location of the soil pipe means I'm left with my "back-to-wall" pan actually "half-an-inch-short-of-back-to-wall". This is of course livable-with to me, but the missus has another point of view.

I bought a swan neck connector, but here's the prob. The soil pipe diameter is 110mm, but the pan connectors all seem to be 90mm - and hence rattle around in the receiving pipe - and as it's partially visible, looks daft and not convinced it would contain the smells.

Any ideas? (I cannot get access to the soil pipe beneath the floor so radical pipework there is ruled out.)

Many thanks,
Gil

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:01 am

The generally accepted answer to this very common problem is to box out the gap behind the cistern. Fix the boxing to the wall and the cistern to the box. If its only 12mm or so then a piece of ply with beading on the edges will be fine.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:23 pm

hi if you have tiles to match the walls,if its tiled,then tile over the gap
bob

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Are you trying to put the pan connector into a socket on an elbow or tee rather than the internal of the pipe itself. Normally where the pipe apperars through the floor, you have to insert a 3 or 4" length of pipe to reduce the bore to fit the pan connector snugly.

As for standing away from the wall. Well, I have got one today just the same so it really a common problem. You have two choices. Move the soil or build out at the back. If it's only 1/2" or so it will be barely noticeable. If it is more, try and box it and tile round. That makes it look reasonable. But if the pan is touching the soil pipe, then you are stuck with a gap.

Heeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Heeber » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:37 pm

thanks for the replies.

it prob is about 1/2 in gap - so I can live with looking at it - if not the missus's face when she sees it ;-)

this is the final stage, which started with ripping out a lot of boxing-in - so don;t want to do that.

Yes, the connector would be going into the full bore of the soil pipe. Where can I get a length of pipe that will reduce that internal diameter so the pan connector looks snug?

Many thanks,
Heeb

EyeTry
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by EyeTry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Not sure if I`ve pictured the problem correctly but having an Osma Soil products catalogue to hand I see it mentions pipe sizes of 82mm, 110 mm, and 160mm. Also different rubber gaskets for pan spigot sizes of 3.75 in to 4.0 in OR 4.0 in to 4.25 in OR 4.25 in to 4.5 in and also WC connectors that are straight or inclined at 2.5 degrees, or 14 degrees or 90 degrees. But perhaps all you need is that half an inch thick ply to put the loo in it`s new place. Regards, EyeTry

MrBlobbo
Labourer
Labourer

Post by MrBlobbo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Hope I'm not too late to help....

What you are after is a kind of end cap/grommet thing which fits over the end of the waste pipe. The pan connecter passes through a hole in this grommet.

I'm not sure what they are called but i know they exist and they do exactly the job which you described.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:50 pm