Papering over previously emulsioned paper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mhs
Labourer
Labourer

Papering over previously emulsioned paper

Post by mhs » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:27 am

My daughter wants to have one wall of her Georgian flat papered. This wall has previously been papered with a very lightly mottled paper and emulsioned to my certain knowledge with at least three coats of matt emulsion. I would guess that the original wall in this Hove flat would be lathe and plaster. The current emulsioned condition and appearance of the wall is good with no apparent obvious defects. We cannot contemplate removing the existing emulsion covered paper with all the problems that might entail. Can anyone please offer advice as to whether we should be able to successfully paper over the existing paper and whether the wall should be sized and allowed to dry. Also if the instructions with the new wallpaper state that the paste should be applied to the wall with the paper being applied directly from the roll is this the best course of action? ie the paste not being applied to the paper prior to hanging.
Any and as much advice as possible would be much appreciated.

mhs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mhs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:11 am

I really hoped I might get some helpful advice to my questions. Is anyone out there? :)
Here's hoping! Mhs

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:52 pm

hi,

if not too late i'd say that it should be fine to paper on top of what you have, provided that it is sound and flat - no defects such as overlaps on existing paper as these will show through your new paper. a gentle rub with some sandpaper will help.

size the walls first using diluted adhesive - instructions can usually be found on the packet.

bear in mind that the paste will make the existing layers wet - may cause bubbles in areas that are not currently stongly bonded and may not be obvious now.

you have to ask what is the worst that can happen? answer; it looks awful and you have to strip it anyway. plus cost of more paper of course.

personally i'd risk it.

mhs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mhs » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks Chris for your reply which arrived this morning - the very day I decided to take the plunge and get on with it. It took me and my wife all day - the paper had a very obscure pattern with a 25 inch repeat - but the end result is quite pleasing so as you hinted it seems it was worth taking the risk.
regards mhs

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:57 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:17 am