papering
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ACKY20
Labourer
Labourer

papering

by ACKY20 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm

I have had a look at a job for somebody who is not happy with her ceiling paper. whoever did the job papered over artex ! the artex is not a deep style & looks more like a brush or fine comb pattern . i want to know if i strip it off & apply PVA adehsive , then a thick coat of paste will it be okay & hold it more permanent than it is now , theres just a few edges that are loose . she wants it repapering & i always apply a thick coat of paste to the paper , any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 am

Hi, not sure what you mean by "strip it off" but if you mean just remove the paper then do what you want to do then the answer would be no. To do the job so that the seams or anything else for that matter doesn't come away then the artex has to be removed. If you wet the paper with warm water with washing up liquid in it and do this a couple of times before you try removing the paper the chances are that it will loosen the artex and most of it will come off with the paper. Whoever did the job in the first place shouldn't be allowed near a pasting table if they paper over artex. That's my opinion anyway. If you intend stripping everything off then there will be no need to PVA it, not that it would work anyway as 1 or 2 coats of size on a well prepared ceiling will be enough to hold the paper in place.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:18 am