Part Build Extension and Cavity not Wide Enough
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

cookie11
Labourer
Labourer

Part Build Extension and Cavity not Wide Enough

by cookie11 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi,
I got a family friend who is a builder with a team of men to come & build me a side extension. He got the footings in & the inner skin but everything has come to a stop. the single story extension is only 5m x 2m & is parallel with the front & back of the house(5m).
Every time i ask when he is coming to finish it of he says in a few weeks or so but never shows, this has gone on for over 12 months.
My problem is my original wall which he is matching up to is a total of 14" with the block size of 4", 2" Kingspan 2" gap & 6" old sandstone outer skin.
What he has put in place is the inner block (4") but for some reason moved it out 2" which only leaves 8" so now this means a 4" sandstone block or is there anything else that can be used in place of the 2" 50mm Kingspan.
I need to have an idea as I don't want someone else coming in & tearing the blockwork down. Have people ever reduced sandstone blocks to 4" from 6".
Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:58 am