part p building regs notification
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markspark7
Labourer
Labourer

part p building regs notification

by markspark7 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:56 pm

hi all.
having been working for a company for the last few years, i,ve been asked to rewire a block of flats for a friend.
i was part p registered but membership as lapsed, and would like to know wot are the alternatives to becoming registered again as i dont intend to do more jobs ,

i,ve check on the iet website and they state that i can get a building notice from building control!
as anybody gone down this route??
thanks in advance.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:01 am

I did but not in an ordered way. My Mother lost a leg and the house needed modifying for her return. The Pantry and Toilet were to be knocked into one and made into a Wet room. Builders were employed and completely messed up no other builders could be found at short notice so the family stepped in to complete. To begin with building controls were not helpful saying I would need to wait for approval before I started work I in turn told them as long as they gave me approval now that was OK but the work was not going to be held up. So then he started down next route that if it didn't pass I would have to rip it out and start again. Which had answer of course it is going to pass I do know what I am doing and I am not going to submit test results that fail and at that he flipped and could not have been nicer. It seems they had no one on the council who could inspect and test which resulted that if they had doughs about it being correct they had to employ an outside firm with cost the council so had a policy of putting off DIY people. Once complete I took the results in and a cert was sent to my Dad. But it had all to be done in my Dad and Mum name as they were disabled and got fee free Part P and as the Electrician I got no official paper work from the council and the only paper work received by my Dad was after completion. To start the job was all word of mouth which of course means a client could tell you Part P had been applied for and granted when nothing had been done. But on the good side for you it seemed from what the council told me it was up to us as house holders to ensure Part P was completed not the builder. The Builder could do it but it was the responsibility of the house holder to ensure it was all done and since they do everything by word of mouth do easy for house holder. Maybe other councils work in a different way and this was about 3 years ago so may be my council has tidied up its act now. It could have been the no fee bit that messed it up. May be if we had paid we would have got something to say start. I do think if it had not been an emergency and it needed to be completed ASAP we would have been fobbed off.

markspark7
Labourer
Labourer

by markspark7 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:58 pm

thats the feeling i,m getting ( about being fobbed off)!
i rang building control and the guy i spoke to said that i HAD to employ a part p registered sparky, which i know isnt the case,
i also know that the local council dont have an inspector because uptill 3 years ago it would have been my self, as i was a council electrical inspector!!!! now i,m deemed incompitent as i'm not registered ( dont like been ripped off basically!)

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Mark, the rules say anyone can do their own work even if totally unqualified!!
As long as you give notice to your LABC dept. & pay their fee, [locally I believe £160] BEFORE starting work then away you go! no different to any other building work you get inspected after 1st fix before making good chases ect to allow BC's rep to see routes & again at the end when fittings on.
Using some one registered only saves the fee, and in the case of the unqualified it does mean them not getting test certs. for their household records which will be needed if they later try to move home. In your case you can issue your own IEE certs!!!
LABC don't like it as they don't have 'in house' expertise but that ain't your problem!!
regards SPARX

markspark7
Labourer
Labourer

by markspark7 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:22 pm

ok, so on that basis do i after do a seperate notice for the electrics or will one for all the building works be suffient???
will some one after come and inspect my work at first fix then second fix and is there a charge every time? thanks again

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:29 am

There are links to the Part P document free download in projects. Since I was doing the work for the disabled there was no charge. And they can no longer charge for inspecting and testing thats on the document. When it first started my son was doing a few re-wires and Flintshire was quite cheap but Liverpool was very expensive and they seemed to be working on a completely different rule book and when you read that Part P document it says how for certain jobs you don't need minor works cert but also says you must follow 16th Edition which says you need them. Then that like for like replacement does not require Part P then further also says you do need it for consumer units. All the way through it seems like a translation from another language where much of the meaning has been lost in translation. I have not tried to read Welsh version a more precise language but I only have school boy Welsh.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi agn Mark,
when you apply forbldg regs approval there rae options to say what you want inspected & if done at same time there usually is a discount for adding parts on, look on web for your local authority most give a table of scales
regards SPARX

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:01 pm