DIY Doctor

Part P - can I sell my house?

Postby fedupwithjunk » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:33 pm

I am a little confused over installation and inspection regulations.

Although I am competent electrician I do not hold G&G. LABC told me I can install the electrics and they would arrange inspection for the extension on my house.

I have read on this forum that I would need installation certificates as well as inspection certificates in order to sell the house. Also, that because I am not qualified I cannot issue the installation certificates and no other qualified sparky could issue them because they did not do the work?

Surely if it passes inspection I should be able to sell the house without trouble? Am I missing something?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:45 am

I think it would need a very cleaver solicitor to know when installation certs and not test and inspection certs were required. But as to whom can sign them is also unclear as I know may firms only require C&G 2381/2 not C&G 2391 and others look for C&G 2330 and I would think anything which shows you are an electrician would do. One person was more impressed with my foundation degree in electrical/electronic engineering which did not involve the slightest bit of inspecting and testing. Traceable records for the test instruments used I have been asked for and those are only a form I printed with place for dates and readings taken always from the same socket in my house and this it seems is acceptable. I would not think many people have installation certs. Also although installation has to be registered with Part P inspection and testing does not. I do wonder what would happen if anyone was injured when the same fault is reported every 3 years? So yes if it passes inspection most likely OK unless there is something glaringly new added which then maybe they would ask for installation cert which can have three signatures and I have seen where only the test and inspection is signed and no one including building control seemed to notice two signatures missing.

Postby sparx » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Hi, all work done must have an installation cert, or if appropriate a minor works cert. you as a qualified sparks should have been issueing them for every job you have ever done, nothing to do with part-p which is only concerned with structural integrity, wiring routes ect.
Test sheets pads are available from wholesalers and can be filled in by anyone with sufficient knowledge and test equipment to do so, and I would respectfully suggest that anyone not able to do so is not competant to do electrical work since it is implicit in the IEE regs BS7671 that test sheets MUST be issued for all work done.
As for selling a property without certs. as ERIC says most mortgage companies used to be happy with a 'Periodic Inspection Report', however my own fathers house sale was held up for some time until we found a cert. for some earth upgrading I did over 2 years ago, which fortunately we kept a copy of.
Note the subtle difference of 'Installation CERTIFICATE' & Periodic Inspection REPORT'
one is a statement of fact, the other an opinion!
Regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics