Part P who is responsible?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark

Part P who is responsible?

by ericmark » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:59 pm

My son has started to work for a new employer. He has not been provided with any paperwork or meters although having worked for himself in the past he has his own. If sent to a job where Part P would be required and its not an emergency should his boss be informing the council or would he be responsible? And if he started work and the procedure had not been followed who is in the wrong. With emergency work he should complete then test then send results to his boss as person ordering the work. If his boss then fails to forward the paperwork who is in the wrong? My son as myself has 2391 and 16th Edition etc. And has spent the last 6 months doing nothing else but inspecting and testing on commercial premises. But his new Boss is not an electrician and unknown to him he could be Part P registered and everything being above board but also he could be completely unaware of the rules and as a new boss my son is a little shy of confronting him if its not needed. As yet he has not done any work requiring Part P but it will happen and if his boss knows all about it one would have thought he would have given my son a set of sheets to fill in ready. My son has never met his boss everything done with phone calls and text messages email etc.

Yours Eric

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Part P who is responsible?

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:03 am

[quote="ericmark"]My son has started to work for a new employer. He has not been provided with any paperwork or meters although having worked for himself in the past he has his own. If sent to a job where Part P would be required and its not an emergency should his boss be informing the council or would he be responsible? And if he started work and the procedure had not been followed who is in the wrong. With emergency work he should complete then test then send results to his boss as person ordering the work. If his boss then fails to forward the paperwork who is in the wrong? My son as myself has 2391 and 16th Edition etc. And has spent the last 6 months doing nothing else but inspecting and testing on commercial premises. But his new Boss is not an electrician and unknown to him he could be Part P registered and everything being above board but also he could be completely unaware of the rules and as a new boss my son is a little shy of confronting him if its not needed. As yet he has not done any work requiring Part P but it will happen and if his boss knows all about it one would have thought he would have given my son a set of sheets to fill in ready. My son has never met his boss everything done with phone calls and text messages email etc.

Yours Eric[/quote]

HI ERICMARK

the genlteman who your son works for would have his firm , company , whatever registered with a competent persons scheme ,
under the part p registered electrcians system , if they undertake
domestic electrical work . this gentlemans firm would be assessed for
compliance with bs7671 , part p , qualifications ect , and the KEY to all this
is the firm ( this gentleman ) would have to appoint a quality supervisor,
who would act as the competent person resposible for all aspects of the work, design,construction ,and inspection and testing, certification , ect.
without an appointed quality supervisor , then part p status might not be in force.
your son could check which competent persons scheme , this man is registered with.
your son and you have qualifications which could meet the status for this position ( you are obviously probaly aware of this ).
its who is the quality supervisor ? FIND OUT.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 am