Party wall Act
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dpc
Labourer
Labourer

Party wall Act

Post by dpc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 pm

The scenario is, Mother is 70 yrs old and knows nothing about the PWA. I also know very little
Her neighbour, who is a complete moron built an extension some 4 yrs ago. He used a dividing wall between the houses at the rear to take his extension roof higher. this was from a nine inch solid brick wall

I have now learnt that there was no PWA notice served on mother and she has never given him permission to build off the wall or signed anything.

She has since had her house painted and the painter has realsied that the nextdoor extention has gone over the dividing line by about 8 inches (with over hag of roof) It seems the person has built dircetly on the 9 inch solid dividing wall.

I realise he has breached the PWA in the first place, is there a good case for getting him to take it down? or adjust it as it will have consequences when selling. Also, what is the likely outcome, is it worth bothering about?

I am thinking about taking it to a Solicitor to look at but thought I will see if anyone has any anecdotal tales with good advice before spending thousands on a legal eagle.

regards and thanks.

AndiePricie
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by AndiePricie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi

Look in the yellow pages for a chartered party wall Surveyor and seek his advice before you do anything. An informal chat should'nt cost you anything.

Due to the time elapsed you may find it is a lengthy and costly to fight the trespass - seek professional advice first.

End

dpc
Labourer
Labourer

Post by dpc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:25 pm

AP, thanks very much for your time. This is probably the logical place to start. :? :? :?

demoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by demoman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:44 am

Hi dpc

If i where you i would find out if the neighbour had planning
approval and building regs consent . If he hasnt then this
will give you a strong case if it comes to a civil act.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1