DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Party wall agreement needed for stud wall removal ?

Postby ahouston » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:21 am


I'm considering a opening up a badly designed built in wardrobe in my flat's bedroom which is currently just a cavity with stud wall and a door frame (and a massive waste of space..)

The intention is to knock down the stud wall only to allow a properly fitted cupboard to be installed into the newly widened cavity.

The stud wall currently runs from the load bearing wall we share with the adjacent flat to another load bearing wall - neither of which we intend to touch.

I will of course speak to our new neighbors out of courtesy before we do anything, but do we need to get a party wall agreement signed prior to doing this work ?

Also - any idea whether this would require planning permission from the council ?

Thanks :)

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 am

Postby kbrownie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:44 am

HI ahouston,
If anything it's building controls that would be involved and not planning, only really need to get building controls involved regard structual walls.
Yes contact your neighbours, I don't see a problem as it's a stud wall and if I understand your post correctly there's a supporting wall between you and your neighbours. I think the doctor was a project on party walls and if you visit the website and follow links it does explain the party walls agreement.
Good LUck
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics