DIY Doctor

Main navigation

party wall dispute

Postby alggomas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:40 pm

I have had buglding planning approved from the council for an extension. I also have plans from my architect who said that the neighbours building brick built garage/shed ,is over my property. He is recommending I get a survey done to establish bounderies etc. He is suggestong that the neighbour built without planning permisssion years ago.
I did not want to fall out with my neighbour so I asked him if he could move the roof further back. He refused. He then said he was willing to survey the party walls using his surveyor at a cost of £2000.00. I have rung for quotes on this and they range from £450-£750. Do i have to pay £2000 for the survey under the party walls act?
My wife wants to pay the council surveyor to do the job.
Advice please.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 7:12 pm

Postby welsh brickie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:50 pm

tell him your getting the council at a much reduced rate,ask him to come round and offer him a beer lay it all out in the open and bend over backwards to accomadate him.If you be open and honest with him things usually work out.In my experience its best to iron out any problems before starting work
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby collectors » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 am

Ditto with welsh brickie, but also set a time line as it could run on for months, if not years.
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:26 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics