DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Party Wall Neighbour Problem Attached Flat Roof

Postby pookierally » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:42 pm


I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me as I am going out of my mind, its a long story so sorry if I go on a bit :) I live in a terrace house I own my neighbour is renting hers off a housing association, I woke up one day to find my neighbour was drilling into my kitchen wall, 3 thick beams adjoining our kitchens together they put a completely flat roof on top, no permission was given nor have they contacted me to advise they were doing this, I went round to ask but they said it was just some brackets and they were given permission by the housing association to do so and just carried on with the work :x I contacted the housing association direct and told them my problem they visited and left me a message to say they had to remove it if I was not happy and make good any damage they may have already caused and that they were instructed to visit me to talk about it they didn't,so I contacted the housing association again and said I was worried as the flat roof did not appear to have any drainage and I was worried about damp as I have air vents where it was constructed and they started ignoring me, after 3 week of emails I finally had a reply off the complaints department and they sent someone different from the planning department out and I had to ring him 5 days later and they now say it is 1 inch away from my property and they aren't doing anything wrong? and they are not interested in talking to me even though they know that at one point the structure was attached to my building and may still be as I cant see the gap, I now didn't know if any damage was caused as they apparently have a perspex wall 1inch from my wall.

I am at end of my tether with this I am pregnant and have just come to the end of 6 months of building work due to damp from a burst pipe in my kitchen I am so worried about this causing damp again, the housing association don't want to know and I don't know where to turn this has been going on for a month and half and I really don't know what to do and don't know if I have any rights at all in this matter x

Thank you in advance

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Postby stoneyboy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm

I assume you have checked with your local planning and building regulations departments to see if permission is needed and was given.
You may have to use a solicitor and you will need to find one who is well versed about the party wall act - have a search online.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5330
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics