Patio advice
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kane
Labourer
Labourer

Patio advice

Post by Kane » Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 am

Hi DIY Doctor

i started to lay a patio last weekend, got the foundations dug out, laid weed killer down, put a weed blanket down, put some hardcore down & the sand & then we placed the paves into position ready to cement in to position, then the heavons opened up & it rained solid for 2 days, After it dried out the patio was not level (not surprised considering how much it rained) so i spent the next few hours leveling it all out with more sand. It was covered up & left for a few days to bed back in, which brings me to my question
can i now cement the pavers in to place or do i have to do something else?? im worried i cement them in to place & if it rains the sand will move & so will my cemented pavers

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri May 18, 2007 7:01 pm

We never lay paving stones just on sand for exactly that reason Kane. We mix sharp sand with cement at a ratio of 8 to 1 and a little water. You should be able to squeeze a handful and it stay in one lump but with no water squeezing out, Laid like this it gives you a lot of flexibility and there are no worries when it rains. Its also easier to grout....See our project on grouting patios via the link above.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 am