Paving Joints Advice and What Sand Mix
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DomaS
Labourer
Labourer

Paving Joints Advice and What Sand Mix

Post by DomaS » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi,
I have a patio laid with railway pavers which have quite large gaps in due to their size and wavey edge. They look to have been laid directly on the ground and are very solid so don't intent on pulling them up. They are a good two inches thick. Due to the amount of weeds growing I need to fill the joints with something suitable which is what I need advice on. Some of the gaps are over an inch wide.

I have some Tarmac weed free paving sand (3 bags) - is this any good?

Could I mix this with some sharp sand and cement mix (2:2:1 maybe?) to get a good solid joint mix?

Hope the image links work:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZDtkgDQYD6LQcLCS9

Any advice appreciated.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Paving Joints Advice and What Sand Mix

Post by collectors » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:26 pm

Your mix should be fine & it will be far easier to do as dry sand & cement mixed up & brushed/broomed into the joints & see of you have a bit of 1-1/2" 2" pipe to smooth the tops off. Problem at this time of year is making up a dry mix.

DomaS
Labourer
Labourer

Post by DomaS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks, so what ratio would you recommend and can I mix the Tarmac weed free paving same with other non polymeric sands?

DomaS
Labourer
Labourer

Post by DomaS » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:07 pm

So what ratio mix would you recommend? Also, is it OK to use the Tarmac weed free sand in this mix? Say 50/50 sharp sand and the tarmac stuff with 4:1 sand to cement?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 pm