peeling paint on drainpipes
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
christinea
Labourer
Labourer

peeling paint on drainpipes

by christinea » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:24 pm

I have plastic drainpipes and the gloss paint is peeling badly all over. It flakes off fairly easily in places but in other places it is stuck on. can anyone advise me what is the easiest way to remove this and are there any recommended products on the market. also what is the best way of repainting, again is there any secret to making the paint adhere better and are any paints better than others and do i need a primer. I have 6 drainpipes so this is a big job.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 am

Hi, as they have already been painted I would scrape off all the loose paint, give them a good rub down and wash, then undercoat and gloss. I would use Dulux oil based paint. I prefer to use Dulux as I find it lasts quite well and is hardwearing. Plastic pipes are not meant to be painted really, just given a good clean down every so often. If they have to be painted they should be left alone for at least 12 months before painting so that the oils they use in the making of them gets washed off by the elements first. After this 2 coats of gloss is usually used without the undercoat as gloss seems to adhere to the plastic better than underocat. This wouldn't apply to yours as they have already been painted in the past. Good luck. Shed.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:01 pm