Penetrating Damp Causes - Opinions and Advice Needed Please
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kellylucinda86
Labourer
Labourer

Penetrating Damp Causes - Opinions and Advice Needed Please

by kellylucinda86 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Sorry if this is long and complicated i will try and explain best i can.
my house is an end terrace the end backs on to someones land. I have some damp in my kitchen 118inches in length and between 10 and 19 inches high from the floor. It's been there over a year (since i moved in) its hasn't changed in size since i looked in february but since it's started raining i think it's getting worse.
I have a retaining wall up against the end wall of my house which is about a metre high.

I had a guy come and give me a quote for solid wall insulation the damp came up in conversation and he said, "it will be being caused by a bit of pointing that needs replacing and rainwater going in between house and retaining wall and getting trapped. Get it repointed and sealed, the wall will dry out".

I rang a guy to give me a quote for pointing telling him what the previous guy had said. This guy said he couldn't see any pointing that needs doing he said he would put an edge of cement on the wall or something to encourage the rainwater to fall away. quoting me £60.
I wanted to get a second opinion so i rang another man. He came and quoted me £365 and said the flashing needs doing.
I then rang a damp proofing company who have said in their report the.... "there is a plinth constructed to the gable i believe this is allowing rainwater to splash back onto the property wall and cause penetrating damp which is manifesting internally. They have recommended a damp proof course at the cost of £730.
I do not know whether to get the damp proof course done but then that wouldnt bbe sorting the problem that exists. I don't really want to spend that amount of money if it can be solved a cheaper way.
Any advice opinions on what you think is causing the damp would be helpful.
Thank you

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Penetrating Damp Causes - Opinions and Advice Needed Please

by welsh brickie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:56 pm

can you post pictures so we can see the damp areas

kellylucinda86
Labourer
Labourer

by kellylucinda86 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response couldn't get the photo resolution lower. This is the inside and outaide not really alot visually to see where the socket it the paper has bubbled and i peeled off the strip to investigate. It doesn't look or smell damp.
Thanks kelly
Attachments
Inside.jpg
Inside.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 2142 times

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:13 pm

I would say that its best to repoint the wall, as others suggest, then spray the wall with a clear silicone solution, its cheap and will stop water penetrating the wall, you will need to apply it every so often but it works

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am