permanent live ? why ?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nigs
Labourer
Labourer

permanent live ? why ?

by nigs » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:34 pm

tried to install an outside halogen spot ( to replace an ancient bulkhead light which was rotten & hanging - not at my house I hasten to add ! )

the lamp is supplied with connections into a chockblock marked for L , E & N.

Instructions, predictably say L to L, E to E & N to N ....... no surprise there.

switch is inside house.

would be simple 'cept discovered that wiring coming from house ( red, black & earth ) consists of 2 live, 2 earth & 2 neutral.

connecting all of these into the marked terminals in the chockblock as described above causes a the light to stay on permanently.

what do i need to do to connect the existing wiring to have it work on the existing switch ?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:57 pm

I will guess one cable is "Line in" "Neutral" and "Earth" and the other cable is "Line out to switch" "Line return from switch" and "Earth".

The "Line" wires should be brown or red although since both "Line" and "Neutral" are both "Live" wires it is permitted to sleeve the blue or black wire with brown or red sleeves. Often these fall off and then easy to get mixed up unless you note connections before disconnecting any cables.

So I expect the two red or brown wires connect together and one black or blue goes to neutral and the other goes to Line.

I would also expect when you switch light on it opens the protective device. If not then likely the switch is US.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm