Perplexed by Unfinished Building Work to Neighbours Property
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Meatshield
Labourer
Labourer

Perplexed by Unfinished Building Work to Neighbours Property

by Meatshield » Tue May 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello, I'm a new user of this forum. I'm after some advice about an issue caused by work that my neighbours had done. I'll try to be as clear as I can but it's a bit convoluted. Two pre war terrace houses mirror images of eachother footprint wise, both with a small yard adjacent to the kitchen/bathroom area. Both properties are divided by a party wall. Neighbours wish to extend into their yard. Properties are on a sloping road. Property A is approximately 1.5 feet above property B. (Party wall also acts as retaining wall for the material in property A's yard). Party wall is removed by the builder to 'put in the footings for the extension'. Property B has an extension built to 1 half of the old party wall location (this was not part of the agreement as the wall was supposed to be rebuilt). To achieve this the builder reduced the height of property A's yard to that of property B, and in doing so exposes the footings of property A and the top of some of the drainage pipework. The issue that I am having is that property B's plastic breather inserts and damp course are now below the original ground level of my property, property A. The builder has gone off and the neighbours are adamant that the ground level must be a minimum of 150mm below their damp course. This will still leave my footings exposed and a covering of only about 10mm over my drainage (soil) pipe. I don't have damp course as far as I can tell. Surely they can't expect me to leave my footings exposed? They are the old style chucks various lumps of block and brick down type of footings, proper old school. Can anyone advise please.

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Perplexed by Unfinished Building Work to Neighbours Property

by Sometimewoodworker » Thu May 03, 2018 7:47 am

Your neighbors can not insist on your lowering your ground level to accommodate the bodge job that has been done by their builder. In fact builder should not have touched your property at all.

Personally I would inform the neighbours that you are going to restore your original ground level and that it is thier responsibility to do the work required to waterproof the building quickly before you do so

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:18 pm