Petition to lower VAT on repair and Maintenance materials
Accounts and book-keeping for builders plus mortgage and remortgage information

rossfraser2020
Labourer
Labourer

Petition to lower VAT on repair and Maintenance materials

by rossfraser2020 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:58 am

Sorry for the random posting - wasn't exactly sure what section to post under so I thought financial fitted best.

I am currently working on petitioning the government to reduce the VAT on building and repair materials to 5% from its current 17.5% status.

What would this mean?

A reduction of VAT to 5% in this area would not only assist individuals and businesses with maintaining and improving their existing properties but, by increasing the amount of building and maintenance repair work undertaken, this move will also be keeping the nation’s highly skilled employees in work during these difficult times. These trades people are a valuable asset to the industry as a whole and this is a vital opportunity to maintain and stimulate employment levels in the wider market.

In addition to this

A cut in VAT for home maintenance would also encourage people to undertake energy efficient improvements to their properties, which they may have previously discounted as too costly. This in turn would assist the government in meeting its target of reducing carbon emissions by 60 per cent by 2050.

The ironic thing about this is that there is whilst building new properties is exempt from VAT, the standard rate of 17.5% VAT is payable on building repair and maintenance.

What can you do?

If you have two minutes could you visit the petition page http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/repairingbritain/ and fill in your details, I am trying to get 10'000 votes by April the 14th so your vote will really help!

We also have a facebook fanpage that you can become a member of to show your support. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rok-Repai ... 3891438971

Many thanks Ross

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:49 pm