Pillar Wall for RSJ has Bowed After Removing Brickwork
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Imsureicandothat
Labourer
Labourer

Pillar Wall for RSJ has Bowed After Removing Brickwork

by Imsureicandothat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi all,

I’m new here so forgive me if I’m in the wrong place or not doing this right. I’m midway through your standard kitchen/diner renovation. So obviously the wall between the rooms is coming out.

All has gone well so far. However, I’ve just removed some brick to make space for the padstone and RSJ to sit on, as I was doing so I felt the entire upper part of the wall move with the blow of my hammer.

So my question is what now? Can I rescue the wall without having to rebuild it? The edge of the wall that the RSJ is still plumb, so should I just not worry about it? Is BC going to pull me up for it?

(As you can tell I'm very worried).

Many thanks for any and all advice.

R
--
Richard Foggin
Attachments
Gap developed after wall movement
Gap developed after wall movement

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Pillar Wall for RSJ has Bowed After Removing Brickwork

by Hugh Schkok » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Who undertook the required maths here?
You need to identify the shear forces, buckling moments and loadings at the very least. Was the peope that arrived to install arrive on horses and wearing dusty s
Stetson and have an unusual dialect in their voices? Did the offer "Howdy pardner" as a salutation?

Building is not a game and the failure of a beam could convert your delightful palace in to a sub-base for a drive Before you engage anyone to such an important detail. Ensure they can write, use a calculator and it's always a plus if they can do joined up writing that is readable.

Sorry man someone's bought cheap and when you buy cheap you buy twice.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 am