Pipes in cavity wall.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mike Todd
Labourer
Labourer

Pipes in cavity wall.

by Mike Todd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:58 pm

I am carrying out a bathroom refurbishment which requires hot and cold water pipes to be led to a new shower mixer unit, gravity fed. Am I allowed to lead these pipes (continuous plastic) through the house cavity wall (between outer brick and inner breezeblock, understood to be insulated) to the new location to avoid unsightly pipework, or boxing, in the bathroom. If so, are there any rules to be followed ?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 pm

not a good idea mate, if it were ever to spring a leak it could do a lot of damage and cause a lot of problems, damp being only a minor one of them. any leak could go undetected for a long time and would be a real hassle to try to access for repair.

i wouldn't chance it even if it were a single piece of pipe with no joints.

with regard to regs, haven't checked but i'm fairly certain that there will be something somewhere that says it can't be done.

also you don't really want to damage the insulation and you'd probably struggle immensely getting the pipe through it anyway.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 am

No because you have to breach the cavity to do it.

Cheers

Mike Todd
Labourer
Labourer

Plumbing in the cavity wall space.

by Mike Todd » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Definitely a no-no as the building regs (and the cavity !) are being breached. Thanks to those replies !

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:04 pm