PIR Replacement
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
saki
Tradesman
Tradesman

PIR Replacement

Post by saki » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi,

I have replaced 6 external lights - four at back garden and two at front. There are two Steinel PIRs - one at front and one at rear. The two front lights work for two minutes then switch off but do not switch on again when movement occurs. The four rear lights work as expected. I am assuming that the PIR at front is not working. Is replacing the PIR a job for an electrician or is a DIY job? The Steinel product that looks closest to one I have is £85 which seems pretty steep. So if it is a DIY job could I get a cheaper substitute? What factors do I need to take into account when selecting substitute.
Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: PIR Replacement

Post by Mr White » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Some (Not all) mains PIRs have a daylight sensor, so that after initial power on, they will not work again till its dark, so the question has to be, have you checked all the settings of your PIR?

If you still want to change the PIR it would depend on your DIY skills and confidence as to if you should change it or not, as I do not know the answer, I will have to leave that to you.

I have installed "just a few" mains PIR's I do not pay more than £15 for them, I get them from screwfix.

saki
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by saki » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks for your reply. Sensor at back switches on for two minutes then goes off but switches on when movement is detected even during daylight. I will check tonight though in case sensor at front is dusk only. It might make sense as that is entry path to house.
I have done several electrical projects over many years but know nothing about PIRs. I have looked at Screwfix PIRs under £15 but the reviews, many from electricians, are very poor. Can you recommend one? It is a motion PIR I want not a dusk till dawn one.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:21 pm

I have not got the slightest idea of which reviews you were reading, as I could not see any reviews by electricians on the screwfix website.
I have also yet to see a dusk till dawn PIR, I would suggest you are either reading the wrong item or confusing your self between the two devices.
As I previously mentioned I myself have installed many PIR's all purchased form screwfix each costing under £15, I have never had a problem with any of the devices.

saki
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by saki » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:58 am

I typed PIR into screwfix search and assumed that it would list PIRs. They are listed as motion sensors. Screwfix by default lists user ratings from high to low so unless you change the sort order or go to last page you don't see the full story. There are no PIRs on screwfix site below £15 that have a good rating. There are numerous comments by electricians. A few examples below.

Perhaps you can give me the name of a screwfix PIR that you have fitted and found satisfactory?

Zinc Outdoor PIR Sensor £9.99
Electrician
" Not the first PIR I have bought from Screwfix, have previously fitted LAP Units and stopped using those as they would fill up with water and obviously fail. As they are considerably cheaper than the wholesaler supplied alternative I thought I would give these Zinc Units a go but lo and behold, less than 8 weeks later (of admittedly bad weather!) the unit has filled with water and failed. If you're fitting these professionally I would pay the money for something decent and save yourself a trip back to replace it "

Electrician
Not for outdoor use
" Hi fitted this outdoors with the sensor pointing down at a slight angle. The first one lasted 2 days and after ahaving some rain it stopped working, I found the sensor head was full of water. Fitted another and after 2 weeks have the same problem. Will be returning it for a refund. "

Zinc Twin PIR Sensor 14.99
Electrician
" It's too sensitive even on its lowest setting it will trigger with the slightest breeze.
I've installed lots of the earlier Zinc sensors and they are trouble free but this new one is either faulty or totally useless unless you want to flash your outside lights all night.
Now I have the hassle of removing and replacing it from another supplier as Screwfix only sell this model now Grrrrrr! What was wrong with the old one? "

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 am

I note that the early reviews do suggest not buying the PIR, but latter they change to "no problems" I will be in the "no problems" category.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:31 pm