PIR switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
clayrp
Labourer
Labourer

PIR switch

by clayrp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:41 pm

i just bought a PIR switch that is rated at 1000watt incandesent and 400watt flurescent, it has options to change light detection and timer and i would like to use it to power on the main lighting in a room but also allow the existing wiring /switch to remain.

how would i go about adding in this extra switch to get this to work? inside the switch there are 4 connections and the sensor itself needs to be powered by the 240v power.

LS - (dont know what it stands for but assume light switch?)
Live
Neutral
Earth

the enclosed diagrams are not very good and any guidance would be much appreciated.

PS. if i wanted to use this PIR with a simple desk lamp could i put a wire and plug on it then goto the PIR then the desk lamp wire go into the PIR to switch on?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi, this would need connecting to ceiling light as that is the only place there are all 4 connections together, however this is not easy to get right if you are already unsure of connections!!!
It could be used to power a table lamp but these sw. are not meant for use except in a fixed location, no way to anchor flexes etc.
You would need to know which is live in, sw-live out and loop N.in & out together in N term. and earths together also.
drawing is probably adaquate for leckie but not for DIY,

clayrp
Labourer
Labourer

by clayrp » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:32 am

having had a good think about it last night it turns out its not that complicated, the only annoying part is that you need to power the PIR which im guessing could be done by just having extra wires coming from the existing rose? then having another pair of wires coming from the same connections as the wall switch ? (providing the wires will fit in same block, if not then what?)

if thats all ok then i just need to figure out how i wire it in a way to allow for manual override ?? possible somehow to add a 2 gang light switch and rig it that way some how?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm