Placement of walls on foundations again.
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil Russell
Labourer
Labourer

Placement of walls on foundations again.

by Phil Russell » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:19 am

This is my first post and being made as my wife and I have concern over the base walls being built for our conservatory. The foundations are concrete, 1m deep. Unfortunately there was no setting out point provided by the surveyor (we are purchasing from a major conservatory supplier who will be named and shamed if necessary) and the foundations were not put in the right place ... initial brickwork was centred on the foundations but was in the wrong place. The new brickwork has had to be moved sideways 130mm which means the inner bricks on one side and the outer bricks on the other are sitting virtually on the edge of the foundation. Is this acceptable? A representative of the company says it is quite Ok but we have a niggling doubt that it is wrong and very bad practice. Also ... the moved brickwork is not exactly perfect ... dalight can be seen though some joints. Ok, these will be hidden but surely it is not right.

Can anyone comment?
:?: Cheers, phil

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Im no expert but my recomendation would be to speak to your local council about building regualtions for conservatorys. Better still ask them to make a site visit ( which they may charge for ) and make your conservatory suppliers know that your getting a visit just to get a second opinion. A local surrveyor may also provide practical advice on this issue at a cost. Like it or not, its best to keep relations with your supplier positive throughout as any negative issues you raise with them could effect there standard of workmanship on the remainder of the build. Ive heard horror storys of builders urinating in damp proof courses just becasue the didn't get on with the peolpe on ther job. Ive recently spoken to my local council on a different issue and found them to be very helpful. Better to get problems like this sorted for your own peace of mind. Keep in mind your paying them! Good luck.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:06 pm