Planning Advice for End Terraced House Two Storey Extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

microkid
Labourer
Labourer

Planning Advice for End Terraced House Two Storey Extension

by microkid » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi - we live in a small End of Terraced House in South East which we would like to extend, so we can add another bedroom upstairs.

To the side of the house is about 1.75 Meters. But we can’t build over this as it is (a) rear access not only for us but also next door. (b) I Believe there may be a sewer underneath (we have two man hole covers to the side of the house. If we did build to the side and left say 800mm for access it would be a very narrow extension approx 900mm - but bear in mind the house is only just over 3Meters wide so actually 30% wider!.

But what I would really like to do is build a full width two storey extension to the rear projecting 10 feet – this is how far back both mine and my neighbours single story kitchens currently project. We would therefore widen the single storey kitchen to full width of house then put another bedroom above, so the overall foot print fits within the overall foot print of the house. Assuming my neighbour is OK with this (and I think they are). How likely am I to get planning permission granted from the council? I have looked at 45 degree rule from neighbours nearest upstairs window and it does cross my proposed plans at about 5feet projection. As mentioned above we cannot offset it to the side due to access and sewer.