DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Planning Advice Needed on Converting Mixed use House and Shop

Postby McSure » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi, I have just purchased a property in County Durham a house that had a shop that hasn't been in use for the last 3 years. I want to remove the shop front and convert it back into a room for the house.This will involve removing a roll up metal shutter and taking out the wooden shop front, then using bricks to match the existing property 2 windows matching the existing style of the house .It is not in a conservation area and from what I gather the shop front was cut into the existing property which was full residential but this was done around the 1940's.
I assume they didn't require planning permission back then.

So my question is will I be able to do this under permitted development as I am converting it back to its original state, or do I require planning permission for change of use?

Many thanks for reading all responses will be gratefully received.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Postby thedoctor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:01 am

It is not wprth taking a chance here. Do not rely on forum posts for this kind of advice as every area in the UK will have a slightly different approach to planning laws. Contact your local council and ask them for the correct rulings for your situation.
Posts: 2525
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics