Planning Advice Needed on Converting Mixed use House and Shop
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
McSure
Labourer
Labourer

Planning Advice Needed on Converting Mixed use House and Shop

by McSure » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi, I have just purchased a property in County Durham a house that had a shop that hasn't been in use for the last 3 years. I want to remove the shop front and convert it back into a room for the house.This will involve removing a roll up metal shutter and taking out the wooden shop front, then using bricks to match the existing property 2 windows matching the existing style of the house .It is not in a conservation area and from what I gather the shop front was cut into the existing property which was full residential but this was done around the 1940's.
I assume they didn't require planning permission back then.

So my question is will I be able to do this under permitted development as I am converting it back to its original state, or do I require planning permission for change of use?

Many thanks for reading all responses will be gratefully received.

thedoctor

Re: Planning Advice Needed on Converting Mixed use House and Shop

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:01 am

It is not wprth taking a chance here. Do not rely on forum posts for this kind of advice as every area in the UK will have a slightly different approach to planning laws. Contact your local council and ask them for the correct rulings for your situation.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1