Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
inapickle
Labourer
Labourer

Planning permission for decking HELP!

by inapickle » Fri May 11, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi all,

I dont know if im in the right place or even on the right site but I desperately need some advice.

Firstly Myself and my neighbour dont get on and never have. A few years ago I had a guy call from the council asking me to clean up my garden as there'd been a complaint (guess who that was), It wasn't even bad but even so I decided to make it really nice.
My garden is on a slope, the bottom of the garden is probably about 7ft difference in height. So Ive made 3 different levels, decking as you go out the door, step down to grass and then step down to the play house.

All well and good I thought but today I've had the same guy come back from the council as my neighbour has complained that i have decking. He took some photos and he wanted me to write a letter giving measurements etc.
At 1st I wasnt bothered much but since reading online about planning permission, Im starting to get stressed out. As my garden is so steep, my decking starts at ground level and runs out to 80cm at the highest point, Planning permission is needed for more than 30cm apparently, but its not possible for it to go any lower or it wouldnt be level.

Anyway I've spend over a grand so far to make my garden nice for the kids and its not even finished yet, Im not in a position to throw that kind of money away.

Whats going to happen? Any advice would be great. Sorry for the long post but wanted to fit in what I could x

fabgav
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Planning permission for decking HELP!

by fabgav » Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Just out of interest, did this council guy phone the first time?

What I mean is, is he ACTUALLY from the council? or is he just a mate of said neighbour?
Because knowing what my council is like, it would take a hell of a lot to get them to make someone clean up their garden due to a complaint!
Unless you garden was a health hazard (chemicals, rats etc) then I doubt they would say anything.

inapickle
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Planning permission for decking HELP!

by inapickle » Tue May 15, 2012 1:01 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah he's from the council, he didnt phone or arrange an appointment but he's from tenancy management as I have to address the letter and photos to him at my local housing office.

My garden definately wasnt a health hazard, there were a few brambles and a rusty scooter, infact it was in a better state than my neighbours garden, but my neighbour is a complete nuisance and would have kept on just to have something to complain about. Unfortunately they most probably just wanted to get him off their case.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 pm