DIY Doctor

Main navigation

planning permission

Postby kaz12 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:05 am

my mother in laws neighbours had an extension built a few years ago (it happends to be her sister they had a big fall out a few weeks ago where police and ambulance was called)the problem my mother in law has got is that when they had it built there backdoor and kitchen window now overlooks my mother in laws garden so every time my mother in law goes out into her garden to put rubbish in the bin or to open her garden gate to go in the passageway to get to her front garden they accuse her of stareing in at them and start shouting nasty things to her its got that bad she doesnt want to go out in her questions are can they put a back door they cant even use the back door as its that close to the garden fence they cant get out and have to use the old backdoor entrance and window that overlooks someones garden.did they need planning permission for has a slopeing roof that comes just underneath the back bedroom window. i have been told that she would of had to get planning permission from the council and that a letter should have been posted to her neighbours as having the extension built has reduced the light entering my mother in laws kitchen but she didnt get a letter.(i dont know if that is true)if anyone can answer my questions i would be very gratefull.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:38 am

Postby rosebery » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Frankly its all far too late to start this particular hare running particularly when the justification is a domestic - albeit rather serious.

You are barking up the wrong tree - what you have here is harrassment not a planning issue IMHO, which should be dealt with accordingly. Your MIL had every opportunity to complain at the time it was being built but I'm guessing that, with relations a lot warmer then, it was not a problem then so am having difficulty seeing why it is a problem now except it is being driven by emotion.

But that is only my advice - you are free to ignore it.

Sorry if thats just a little blunt.

Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Postby htg engineer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Contact local council for planning permission for the tallest fence legally allowed at the rear of the property. Erect the fence along the boundary.

She wont be able to see in to stare at them and they wont be stared at or be able to see her to shout abuse - everyone happy ?

htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Postby rosebery » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:33 pm

HE has a valid point. 6 feet fences can be erected at the sie of the property without any sort of permission at all. That should be tall enough unless they are Amazons!

Erect it on your MIL side of the boundary so that it's WHOLLY on her land. If you try and put it ON the boundary that could give rise to further grief and distress as to where the boundary actually lies.

Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Postby kbrownie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:34 am

All valid points, it is diy a forum. Fence up way to go.

But if police have been involved there will be a record of the disturbance, if this harshment continues/increases, contact the police again and keep a record of harshment and abuse.
They may put some sort of order on them.
But hopefully it being family you can bang your heads together, not in head butting type of way and sort your problems out in a civil manor.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics