Plaster Board Filler to use to Fill Joints Ready for Paint
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dickeygreen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plaster Board Filler to use to Fill Joints Ready for Paint

by dickeygreen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Can anyone offer me any advice, I am currently boarding out an interior stone wall in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

I have 1 board in place and will be fitting a further 3, I have a roll of scrim tape to put over the joints however we would like to paint the boards directly rather than skimming them or wallpaper.

Can anyone advised me if I need to get special filler to fill the joints between the boards and also the ceiling, before I paint as I believe the scrim tape is holey!

Or can I just use multi purpose filler?

Hoping to finish the job this weekend so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Dickey

thedoctor

Re: Plaster Board Filler to use to Fill Joints Ready for Paint

by thedoctor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:55 am

Hi

Scrim tape should only be used when plastering so in order to fill the joints, a filler such as Fill Once should be suitable: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... 650ml.html

Additionally, if you are using plasterboard you should give each board a few coats of PVA or ideally SBR (dilute slightly) as this will prevent the plasterboard sucking the moisture out of the paint before it has dried which in most cases leads to it peeling off

Hope this helps

dickeygreen
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dickeygreen » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the info, that's awesome.

I know what I will be doing this weekend..

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi

No problems - one thing to note is take your time filling the joints and try to get them as perfect and flush as possible before the filler goes off as sanding is a bit tricky as you have to avoid too much damage to the surround boards, in terms of marking them and rubbing off SBR/PVA (if your using plasterboard)

Kind Regards

dickeygreen
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dickeygreen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:42 am

Will do..

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:33 pm