Plaster Board
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mark0497
Labourer
Labourer

Plaster Board

Post by Mark0497 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:29 am

Hello.
I am just looking for some advice please ...

I have undertaken a project in my kitchen... the house is 8 years old and as such has brick walls with plasterboard 'stuck' on (on all four walls).

I have started to take the old tiles off 3 of the walls and apart from tearing the paper from the plasterboard, they are taking large/massive chunks of plaster board with them. In places I can see the brick underneath.

My questions are ...

Should I have the original plasterboard removed and start afresh with new ? ... If so would I need the whole sheet off or just the 'strip' around the room where the tiles have been removed.

Should I just have the three walls with 'damage' filled and skimmed ?

I have no intention of doing this part myself, will call in a professional as plastering is way beyond my abilities.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dan the man » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Mark,

Depends on how much of the plasterboard has come off, if its less than say a quarter of the wall then you would just cut the damaged parts out and replace with new plasterboard, if its only a few holes say up to 6-8 inches wide then you would just fill them in with bonding or another undercoat plaster and skim over the whole wall, sometimes its best to rip the lot out and dot and dab the whole kitchen then skim, its not a great expence to do that but if you're going to pay someone to skim the lot (say £250) then you would expect the price to be around double to board the walls out aswell.

Thanks
Dan

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Yeh tiled walls are quite a problem, I personally tear the whole lot down and re-board.
But I can do that, so may be damage limitation for you.
What I suggest you do do, once the walls have been re-boarded or repaired.
Is in the area to be tiled if any, is fix some hardboard (wood) to that area of wall being tiled and tile to that, so in the future when you decided to remove the tiles it will not damage the plasterboard.
KB

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:46 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 pm