Plaster in Dining Room Ceiling has Slightly Blown From Water Leak From Bath/Shower
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

AlisonWS2019
Labourer
Labourer

Plaster in Dining Room Ceiling has Slightly Blown From Water Leak From Bath/Shower

by AlisonWS2019 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:50 pm

Can anyone give me any advice?

A couple of cracks (about 2 inch long) have appeared in my dining room ceiling (directly beneath where the bath/shower is above). Although the ceiling appears to be dry, the plaster is a darker colour so obviously water has got through at some point and there is a water mark on the dining room wall about a third of the way down the wall (again directly below the bath/shower).

Additionally, when anyone is in the shower you can hear water trickling but there is no water running down the wall. it is behind the stud wall. I have had a plumber out to inspect and he has confirmed that there is no leak from the underneath the bath or from the shower. He also checked that no water was leaking from the plug outlet in the bath. He suggested it might be the silicone sealant around the bath as he said the bath was slightly further in from the tiles than it should have been, instead of being flush with the wall.

I noticed what appeared to be a gap in the group in the tiles so I have recently put a whole new run of silicone sealant around the bath and also up the run of tiles on the wall where two walls meet but I can still hear water trickling downstairs when anyone is in the shower.

As stated earlier, I had a plumber out to look and he listened to the water running downstairs when I had the shower running but he said it wasn't a plumbing issue and was down to the silicone sealant.

Any suggestions?

It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:50 pm