Plaster wall downlighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hano
Labourer
Labourer

Plaster wall downlighting

Post by Hano » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for downlighting. I've got a largish Lounge/Dining room and want to replace the hideous wall lights with some downlights. My intention is to have pictures underneath them, with the main lighting being from standard type lamps.

I've seen some uplighters that Searchlight do their 102's & 106's
google "searchlightelectric.com/modules/shop/products.asp?catid=4&rangeid=146&cat=Wall"

I was considering turning them upside down, but think that they may be a little too bulky, has anyone seen anything that is a little smaller and protrudes less from the wall. The plan is to paint them to blend in with the existing wall.

Anyone any suggestions??

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Lighting is an art. Not only do you need even light but also correct colour temperature. I would visit a museum or art gallery and see how they do it. Do remember tungsten lamps produce heat which then needs removal so not uncommon to see banks of air conditioning units on the roof.
The lowering of central section of the ceiling and fitting rows of florescent fittings all the way around so both direct and reflected light and of course ceilings painted white seems common method.
The little brass lamps with pearl tungsten tubes cast rotten shadows and all they are good for is menu as one goes into a restaurant.
The little 50mm spots need to be correct distance and spread and the angles vary 10 to 60 degrees so one has to be very careful in selecting lamps. Also the Dichroic lamps don't reflect the heat which is good for picture but not for what ever is behind the lamp. Fitting them in next there was a 3 foot gap at least between original ceiling and false ceiling so loads of circulation air to cool them but not the same with a house and to get the 0.5 meter gap required is often not possible.

I correct the colours in photoshop before printing to compensate for the discharge lighting when I display. Much will depend on quality of pictures oils are as they suggest oil based and too much heat will dry them out and if too new could even cause them to run.

People spend years learning about lighting it is not really DIY.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:28 pm